WILLIAMSBURG, W.Va. — The oldest Catholic Church building in Greenbrier County will be the scene of the first Saturday devotions and Mass beginning May 1 and continuing through October.

Devotions will begin at 10:30 a.m. and the daily Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. in the Catholic Church of Mary Immaculate, located on Catholic Church Road between Frankford and Williamsburg.

Father James Conyers, pastor of St. Catherine of Siena parish in Ronceverte and St. Charles Borromeo parish in White Sulphur Springs, will officiate at the service.

Built in 1901, the current church is the third church building to serve the primarily Irish and German Catholic families in the Frankford-Williamsburg-Renick area. The first was built next to the Immaculate Conception Cemetery and was destroyed by fire.

The second was at the intersection of Catholic Church Road and the Frankford/Williamsburg Road and it was destroyed by a fire started by sparks from a passing steam-driven reaper.

The Williamsburg Church was never an independent church, but a chapel of either St. Catherine  of Siena Church in Ronceverte or Sacred Heart Church in Rainelle.

The public is invited to attend the service on Saturday and a social will be held following Mass with those attending invited to bring snacks or sandwiches to share.

For further information or directions, contact the office of the Catholic Churches of the Greenbrier Valley (304) 536-1813 or the Knights of Columbus of the Greenbrier Valley (304) 645-1373. 

The Catholic Church of Mary Immaculate, the oldest Catholic church building in Greenbrier County, W.Va., will be the scene of the first Saturday devotions and Mass beginning May 1 and continuing through October. Devotions will begin at 10:30 a.m. and the daily Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. The church is located on Catholic Church Road between Frankford and Williamsburg, W.Va. (Photo Courtesy Mike Williams)